As much as I love cooking, if too much is going on in my life, I shut down in there. I’m pretty sure y’all can relate! When life is hectic and busy, work is popping off and kids/spouse/loved ones are busy and yelling, it can be really hard to make anything that requires thinking.
Because of some health concerns of mine, take-out can be hard to do when we have moments like that. One of the best ways to combat this mental shutdown and frustration zone for us is to have easy dinner staples that we know always work. One of those easy, tasty side dishes is this herb mayo roasted cauliflower. It sounds a little strange, I think, to use mayo as the fat for roasting. This is actually an older trick from our midcentury cooks! The eggs in the mayo add richness to the vegetables, and of course, the oils act like olive oil to deepen the flavor of the cauliflower and help carmelize it in the oven.
This recipe is a great keto dish, and if you make the mayonnaise yourself (like with my recipe) it’s also a great Whole30 dish. It’s also just a great whole food recipe, and it can be customized with the herbs you and your family like best.
What Pairs Well with Herb Mayo Roasted Cauliflower?
This side dish is rich, earthy, and decadent, so it will hold up well against even red meat. This is perfect with a whole roasted chicken because they both take a while in the oven. Other main dishes that would pair really well with this side would be a grilled steak, lamb, and salmon.
While this is a vegetarian side, it can easily be made vegan by subbing in vegan mayo. If you go this route, I might add a little nutritional yeast as well.
Creating & Storing Tips
Herb Mayo Roasted Cauliflower can be prepped ahead of time and chilled in the fridge for up to 1 day before you make it. Cauliflower will stay firm even when coated with the sauce, so this can be a grab and go if you have a busy tomorrow but a little bit of time today.
Once it’s made, you can store this dish in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2-3 days. It’s really best eaten when just made or the next day, but you could keep it for a couple of days afterward. It does not freeze well, though, to enjoy it fresh!
Herb Mayo Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise Optional: use vegan or homemade mayo to best fit your diet
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Prep your cauliflower by removing the stem and leaves, then cutting your florets into big chunks. It is okay if they aren't all the same size.
- In a large bowl, add the mayo and dried spices. Whisk to combine.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl and stir to thoroughly coat the cauliflower.
- Spread the cauliflower into a single layer on the pan.
- Roast the cauliflower at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it's browned, sizzling, and fork tender.